Monday, June 22, 2009

A Year Down Yonder: Newbery Review #1


A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck is a heartwarming story about a 15 year old girl named Mary Alice. The story is set during the Great Depression. Mary Alice is sent to live with her grandmother in the south while her parents try to sort through the financial problems at home in Chicago. Mary Alice is not too happy about this change. She views Grandma as a "no-nonsense country gal." The year that Mary Alice thought was going to be the worst ends up being a year full of adventure and excitement. From playing tricks on the town bully to catching sneaky trick or treaters Mary Alice forms a bond with Grandma that she could have never imagined.
I was definitely drawn into this book because of the childhood I experienced growing up in a rural town. There were so many events that took place in this story that caused me to flashback to my own life and adventures I had growing up. Grandma Dowdel actually reminds me a lot of my Grandma Waddle. She raised nine kids and is probably the toughest lady I have ever met. But on the inside my Grandma has the biggest heart and is always ready to make others laugh. She has taught me so many things over the years. From how to make a quilt for my dolls to how to just how to enjoy the small things in life. She has also dedicated so much of her life to helping others just as Grandma Dowdel did in this story.
This book reminds me a lot of The Little House on the Prarie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It also reminds me of Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan. All three of these books bring a new spin to country living. They teach children who live in a developed city that there is much to appreciate in a rural community. They teach children who already live in a rural community to be proud of their upbringing and appreciate the simple things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment